Sunday, July 19, 2009

My favorite picture: Pushkin, Russia 1993

Of all the pictures that you've ever taken, going way back to your first camera, what's your favorite?


I took this, my favorite, in February of 1993 as a high school senior on a class trip to a newly democratic Russia. I was in Pushkin on my way back from Catherine the Great's insanely luxurious Summer Palace (I quickly understood the 1917 peasant revolution after being told that everything that glitters is gold) when I saw this boy peering at us Americans through his window. It must have been a new experience for him to see so many Americans after not seeing many outsiders for so much of his young life.

I wonder where he is now, he must be in his late 20s and has probably moved far away from his home like so many Russian men. I wonder what it must have been like to grow up near one of the richest palaces in Europe, surprisingly still gilded in real gold after decades of Communism. I love the look on his face in the photo. It's total innocence, kindness, curiosity and pleasure at holding his cat all rolled into one expression. I think he is a beautiful child.

What's your favorite photo in your collection? It can be new, old, digital, print film, black and white or color. Doesn't matter, it just needs to be your favorite. Post yours and send me a link in my comment section and I'll link back to them all in a later post.

-kate

9 comments:

  1. OMG Kate, I would love to but my internet is giving me a headache! I have lots of photos to share but uploading it would be very slow. But since I am a positive thinker...I think I can! I'm gonna catch up as soon as my internet is fixed.

    I am glad that you liked my header I will share my experiences in that place, and you will like it more! Hahaha.


    Hugs

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have given me a challenge. I have so many favorites, it is going to be hard picking one. I'll see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting challenge, I have a couple of photos in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why this photo is your favorite. The pose and those eyes must have captured your heart. He is a very beautiful child, thank you for sharing this moment.

    My photo is at http://tinyurl.com/nee95o

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw that you had joined by blog, I came by, and joined yours! What a kindred spirit here!! My favorite photo was taken in 1981 while traveling in Peru. It shows my beloved tent and Salkantay Mtn in the background. http://djanstewart.blogspot.com/2009/07/camping-solo.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate,
    I have posted my favorite photo. Here is the link. http://myweathervane.blogspot.com/2009/07/favorite-photo.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate, I posted mine now!

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for accepting the challenge everyone! I was really taken with the stories behind the photos, a reaction I had not expected but am really happy to have experienced! I will put up a post with links to your fabulous blogs in a day or two.

    thanks again everyone! this was so much fun I will have to do something like it again soon! -kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful photo! I loved reading the story behind the picture. The little boy's smile and eyes say it all!

    Here is the link to my favorite photo -

    http://susan-ripplesofkindness.blogspot.com/2009/07/holdfast-seekers-photo-challenge.html

    Thank you for posting the challenge and allowing me to rekindle cherished memories!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!