Wednesday, May 4, 2011

First milk jug greenhouse salad of the year


The milk jug greenhouses Lizzie and I planted back in early March are finally ready for their first hair cut. The black seeded Stimpson lettuce has been growing for about 6 weeks now and I just harvested these two jugs for our first salad. This is a full six weeks before salad greens start coming in from our local farm CSA share.

These are so easy to do and care for, for directions see this this earlier post. If you have a toddler who drinks two gallons of milk a week you pretty much have everything you need to get started. I wish I knew about these last fall so we could have been eating home grown salad all winter long. From what I've read, you can leave them out in the snow on a sunny day. Mine stayed on an unheated, but glassed-in, porch even on nights with temps in the teens and the salad grew just fine. I've also grown spinach, collards and a leaf lettuce mix. Can't wait for dinner time!

3 comments:

  1. We did a garden at work last year as part of our wellness program. One day we had a lunch with all the fruit of our labor. I really did notice the difference in the fresh lettuce instead of store bought. Very flavorful. Does the lettuce keep growing back? I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I want to do this, I'm going to have to make hubby drink more milk. LOL. Very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.herbs-wholesale.com/colostrum.htm
    Post interesting and thanks for sharing. Some things in here I have not thought about before. Thanks for doing the cool-down, which is really good written. I will refer more friends about this. This is one of the charismatic, informatics blog and a good book about life at most that have been described in the special features to help readers and visitors. All information found here is genuine and realistic.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!