Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Myopia sled dog races!!

YES! Sled dog racing on the north shore of Massachusetts! Last month, when my husband and I saw the sign hanging across the entrance to the Myopia Hunt Club (more well-known for their summer polo matches) we almost jumped out of our seats. How cool would it be to see a real dog sled race!

This past Saturday the day came, we packed Lizzie up in warm clothes and headed to neighboring Hamilton for the Myopia Sled Dog Races. The first thing I noticed is that a lot of the dogs weren't your typical Alaskan Sled Dog, huskies or malamutes. Most of them looked more like this adorable guy:

But there were more typical sled dogs, some of them already linked together waiting for their race: Unfortunately, our toddler only lasted an hour so we only got to see the Skijoring. Skijoring? Yup, that's the sport where a cross country skier is pulled by one or two dogs. Sounds odd, but when my husband saw the first racer enter the final stretch he said, "that's the BEST sport EVER!" And it did look pretty cool.


I think our toddler didn't last long because she wore herself out running around. She was excited because the club bulldozed the snow away from the viewing area and it was the first time she was able to walk around outside (without being caught in a snowdrift) since she learned to walk last month.

So we never got to see the 4 and 8 dog professional races head out. But it was a beautiful day, you could wander around and get up close to all the racing dogs, everyone was friendly - especially the people that Lizzie ran into when she was running around in circles.

And thanks to the New England Sled Dog Club for making it a free event! We hope it comes back to Massachusetts next year, you might just see my husband skijoring, now if we only had a trained sled dog...

8 comments:

  1. What fun! the only problem I can see with the dogs pulling a skier is slowing them down! This could be very... racy. And what an adorable picture of Lizzie wearing herself into a frazzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like so much fun. I've always wanted to do dog sledding.

    Your daughter is precious and looks beside herself with excitement.

    Hmm, think you will be getting a dog anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited you got to go! Looks like fun!

    I'll have to be careful the next time your husband wants to go "skiing" that he doesn't try to harness me for "practicing Skijoring" ... though it would probably be a great workout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still laughing. When I read your title Myopia Sled Dog Races, I thought it was going to be about some nearsighted racing dogs. So glad to know that the dogs have good sight and you had a good time. It sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Rae and me thought the same, I thought it's a kind of viral disease for dogs LOL! Anyway, sled dog races could be a lot of fun but we don't have winter here, so dogs race on tracks, like what we have seen before. I think race on snow is an exciting event for dogs.

    Hi Lizzie you're getting bigger and cuter!

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enlarged the photo of the huskies, they seem to be wondering why all those other dogs are there. It doesn't look like the Iditarod but lots of fun. Lizzie is getting to be a big girl. She is adorable in her pink jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DJan: most of the skiers looked like the dogs were doing most of the work, but I did only catch the end of the race and I'd probably let the dog pull me by that point too :)

    Lynn: we can't wait to get a dog, I grew up with a big old english sheepdog who used to herd my sister and me, I loved it! But, our cat is so afraid of dogs he stops drinking and pees blood. I love him to death but he's almost 13 and has a heart condition so I'm sure we'll be getting a dog soon enough.

    Sue: maybe next time you guys go snowshoeing you can have Ben pull you AND Brian and you guys can relax? :)

    Rae and AL: that IS funny! The Myopia Hunt club used to be in my old home town on a hill without a good view. It moved to Hamilton and kept the name, but I can see how you might have thought it was for nearsighted dogs! Hilarious! And AL: i'll send you some snow, we have plenty!

    SQ: Most definitely not the Iditarod, but fun none the less :) the huskies did look a lot more serious about the whole thing than the hounds, which is not surprising!

    Thanks for reading everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fun time.
    I really love Huskies. Had one as a child

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!